8 Oct 2018
A combination of enthusiasm for learning about Chinese culture, creativity, and a great attitude to giving Chinese language a go has won five young Kiwis an all expenses paid trip to China.
The winning entries for the New Zealand Chinese Language Week competition, sponsored by China Southern Airlines, were submitted via video on Instagram and outlined why the entrants deserved a trip to Southern China’s gateway city of Guangzhou.
New Zealand Chinese Language Week Trust Co-Chair Jo Coughlan said: ‘The Trust was delighted to see nearly 50 entries to the competition from all over New Zealand. Entries were judged on use of language; interest in Chinese culture and thirst for knowledge; enthusiasm and sense of humour.”
General Manager of China Southern Airlines Auckland Office, Lily Wang, said: “Entries were creative, interesting and enjoyable to watch. It was a very difficult decision to pick five winners out of nearly 50. Guangzhou is a wonderful city, and I know the winners will have a fantastic time.”
The winners are:
• Megan Robinson - Dunedin
• Bridget Kirk – Dunedin
• Shilo Kino (Tauranga and Auckland)
• Jessica Evans (Auckland)
• Catharina Lee – Wellington
The trip will take place in December 2018 and includes;
• Return flights Auckland – Guangzhou – Auckland (departing 2 December 2018, returning 7 December 2018)
• 4 Nights’ accommodation in Guangzhou
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner included
• 5 Days sightseeing, including Chimelong Safari Park – home to the world’s only Giant Panda Triplets - Nanyue Palace and a Pearl River Night Cruise
Flights are courtesy of China Southern Airlines and the rest of the trip courtesy of the Guangzhou Tourism Bureau.